Ski School from Hotel Nordic, El Tarter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ski School from Hotel Nordic, El Tarter

Hi
      I´m coming to El Tarter 21st January 2010 by myself - my ski buddy broke her ankle a couple of weeks ago so will not be coming.

Any suggestons for booking ski school in advance - I´m average but have not skied for a couple of years.

Anyone looking for a medium level ski buddy between 22nd and 30th January?

Looking forward to hearing from you
      Jan - living in Lanzarote
    • Hi Jan

You can book in to the school and have group lessons for the week so you can meet people in the class, and ski together afterwards. There's only one school in El Tarter, run by Grandvalira who operate the mountain all the schools in the area.

Also, check out Ski Club of Great Britain who have a rep in neary Soldeu. They organise skiing outings and socials afterwards: skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skireso…ContactID=44564

Also, there's a chap called Diego posted under General Comments looking for a ski buddy.

Hope this helps!

Steve
    • Hotel Nordic

Hi! I have skied in arinsal for the last 3 years and fancy a change. I am slightly nervous as i will be alone with my 10 year old this year. He is confident - I am not - at all! I was looking at the Hotel Nordic in el Tarter. I was wondering if you might be able to advise on the ease of getting to and from skischool with equipment. I was confident on all the blue runs in Arinsal apart from the one down to the village which terrified me! I was ok on the red down from obelix, but not happy on the run at the top back from Pal. In short I like wide runs and get scared by narrow runs with edges over drops! How does the skiing around el tarter and particularly the blue runs back to the hotel compare to Arinsal for scardy cats like me?!! How about more challenging runs if I can pursuade my 20 year old to come?
      Thanking you in advance, Lynne
    • Hi Lynne

From the Hotel Nordic it's a very gentle (if a little narrow) slope at ground level (so no big drops) down to the Tarter Gondola which takes you to the school. From the school there's the absolute beginners' area plus access to quite a few nice gentle blue runs.

There are two blue runs back to the Nordic - Gall de Bosc and Esquirol - in general they are nice wide runs, but narrower in places. You'll find an album of photos of the runs in El Tarter here, or for these rund in particular:

Grandvalira is much bigger than Vallnord so your 20 year-old would have plenty to go at, including lots of challenging runs!

Just ask if you have any other questions, and you'll find loads of information about the area on this site.

Steve
    • European Ladiees cup races

Just noticed on facebook page that there is a bit of a big competition for the week we are there. Does this mean that there will be much of the piste closed for general skiing? Is anybody able to watch the races or do you have to have tickets. Not sure if its a good thing or bad thing to be there that week???? Not sure whether to amend dates or whether we will still have a week of good skiing with the bonus of something extra. Would be grateful for any advice once again.
    • Hi Lynne

The only slopes that will be closed for the racing will be Avet (the steep black run under the Soldeu gondola to the village), and the one next to it for training. As far as I know it's free to watch but I've sent an e-mail just to check and will post on here when I've had it confirmed.

Personally I think it's going to be a great event to watch so I'd keep my plans the same, but it's up to you, although it will inevitably be busy for the days around the racing.

Steve
    • Thanks Steve! Im guessing that although it will be busy, the areas for the nervous useless skiers like myself will be fairly quiet?! Will the runs used for racing and training be closed for the whole week do you think - or will there be a chance for my adventurous boys to try out the closed runs prior to closure earlier in the week? i think they would love to be able to say they skied it! At the moment I feel that it would be good to keep my plans the same as long as we are still able to ski - what an opportunity to see such an event!