Skiing Soldeu & El Tarter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Skiing Soldeu & El Tarter

Just thought I'd give you a quick update . . .

Went skiing in El Tarter yesterday then linked over to Soldeu. It was -6 at the top of the El Tarter gondola, so not sure what it was when I got to the top of the chairlift! Even considering the low temperatures once I was on the move it didn't feel that cold - until I took my glove off to take photos! The snow was in better shape than I anticipated, and was lovely and fluffy in places where the snow cannons have been working overtime!

We had a sprinkling of new snow last night, and it's staying cloudy with more forecast for early next week, so starting to look a lot better.

I'll upload the new photos either later today or tomorrow.

Steve :thumbsup:
    • We had more snow last night so went skiing from Soldeu to Pas today, and with the sun shining plus crisp temperatures the snow was in fantastic condition! Loads more runs are now open, with snow coverage improving continually with the natural and artificial snow.

I've now loaded on quite a few more photos of both Soldeu & El Tarter.

• Update ... 2nd January 2010 ...

We've had quite a lot of snow over NYE / NYD and been up this afternoon for the first time this year! Although the sun was shining, it was still very cold so had to wrap up well. There was plenty of powder to be found, especially at the sides of the pistes, and the runs were lovely. I skied Avet for the first time this season too, and although a littles hard packed in places, generally in good condition, and challenging as ever towards the bottom!

The forecast for the week looks exciting, and looking forward to some more skiing over in Pas de la Casa tomorrow!

• Update 10th January ...

Beautiful day skiing today - freezing cold (-5 in the village at lunchtime!) but sun shining and amazing snow! Loads of powder to be found, and particularly enjoyed heading over to Grau Roig which really was superb!

Have taken quite a few photos so hope to get them on either tonight or tomorrow.

Steve
    • Update 16th January ...

Loads of snow and still plenty of powder to be found nipping off the piste. Some of the runs were quite choppy as the pisters have been concentrating on selected runs. Before you head up in the morning check at the cash desks for a list of the prepared runs. My run home was down Avet which was one of the runs prepared last night, and it was in absolutely amazing condition - perfectly groomed!

Quite warm today though compared to earlier in the week - but more snow forecast over the next few days.

Steve :D
    • Update 10th Feb ...

I was skiing in Grau Roig and Pas yesterday, didn't quite have enough time to get over to Soldeu, but the slopes were in superb condition, loads of soft powder snow everywhere and beautiful blue skies.

Your Grandvalira lift pass covers you for the whole area so it's easy to get between all of the ski areas linked by lifts. If you ski non-stop (and take the correct lift each time :whistling: ) it takes about an hour to ski from Soldeu to Pas, then an hour back again. If you do this in the afternoon make sure you leave enough time to get back home because lifts starting closing around 16:30. Each lift has a sign at the bottom saying when it will close.

To have a look at some photos of Pas & Grau yesterday have a look at our Pas de la Casa website.

• Update 13th Feb ...

Just got off the mountain as have work to do but would have loved to stay up there longer :(

Tried the bump run in El Tarter which is a really good way to practise skiing moguls because they're evenly spaced and sized rather than moguls that are formed naturally by people skiing or snowboarding which are uneven.

On piste skiing was excellent, loads of snow and beautifully groomed with not many people around, which is set to change tomorrow as next week is both half term and carnival week.

Weather wise, the sun was out with not a cloud in the sky. In town it's really quite warm, but once you get skiing the wind is very cold so even if you're setting off and feel too hot in lots of layers it's worth taking them up, including a neck warmer/balaclava, as you can always get a small locker for the day to stick things in.
    • Gorgeous skiing weather at the moment! The sun has been shining every day since we had all the snow last week with temperatures keeping fairly low. Today it was getting a bit soft towards the end of the day so definately worth heading up the mountain early, but superb spring skiing!
    • I have just had a cracking 2 days skiing!

I went up on Sunday with the intention of heading over to Pas then back again. Really put some miles in up on the hill...but the snow was so fab Soldeu and El tater way that I stayed around here all day. There wasn't too many people around and the snow was nice and hard perfect for my easy lazy skiing and doing some serious speed too :wacko:

It was a little windy in the morning and quite chilly, then by lunch time it died off and I could really feel the sun warming me up... Warm afternoon skiing works up a thirst. I had no choice but to stop for a wee shandy in the sun at the top of Soldeu ;)

Was great to see the park in El Tarter really coming along too. They have knocked together some huge monster jumps maybe just a tad out of my league. But I'm sure I will attack them at some point... he he he.

I finished my day on a well deserved plate of chilli, chips and cheese from slim jim's in town. mmmm looking forward to another today soon.

Hayley
    • Any update on snow conditions?

I'm arriving on Sunday next. The temperature seems to have been up this week and the cover looks patchy on some of the webcams.

So how is it skiing? Are the links over to Pas still open? Steeps icy?

I was there the second week of March last year and we got a huge snowfall on the Monday and perfect conditions thereafter, so I'm hoping to be spoiled again!. :thumbup:

John
    • Il be making a come back to Soldeu/El Tarter after a 4 year gap skiing in Val disere, and I must say I cant wait!!!!! im going with my girlfriend this year (her 2nd time skiing), Val was a bit restrictive for her in her 1st year, so I thought I would bring her to the great slopes of Soldeu, perfect place to master the art!!!! Coming over on the 23rd Jan so fingers crossed for a nice dump or 2 before then!!!! :) :)
    • Guys start getting excited........it's been dumping all morning!!!! 8o

It's due to snow all through the night too! So when you arrive next week you should hopefully have some fresh stuff as there is snow forecast for the next couple of days. The full area has been open for weeks now and last week there was hardly any wind so it was really nice to be up the hill. Some of the steep reds at the top of Soldeu and Tater have been a little icy yes but now it's snowing should fix that! Generally the whole area is in great condition though, hard packed and some slopes in Pas de la Casa a little patchy but I've had some fab days up the hill this week and you bet I'll be on the one of the first lifts in the morning!

I think your lady will much prefer the slopes of Soldeu to Val D'isere being only her 2nd trip. Good call :thumbup:

Have a great time guys :D
    • We woke to snow this morning and it’s continued to fall all day and it’s still snowing. We’ve had an awesome day skiing between Grau Roig and Soldeu. The runs where perfect, visibility varied throughout the morning, but we’re not complaining.... it’s snowing happy days. Reluctantly we came down around 1 o’clock this afternoon, enjoying around 7cm of fresh powder.... boo to work commitments hehe. Can’t wait to head back up first thing tomorrow.... fresh tracks woo hoo :)
    • Total Fight Freestyle Competition

This weekend El Tarter snow park was hosting a freestyle competition called "Total fight" which is the reason yesterday I didn't get much sking done! The weather was varied to start with, windy and icy at the top, ok in the middle, then quite wet and heavy towards the bottom. So weather being not so great I had the best excuse to not do much skiing and watch the super talented freestyle skiers knock out some crazy tricks whilst getting some massive air.

Starting with the biggest jump at the top then hitting a couple of smaller ones towards the bottom of the park I stood there for quite some time amazed at the high standard in the competition :thumbup:

The few runs I got in when I managed to tear myself away from the comp were in good condition. There are a few icy patches around generally at the top, where when it has been windy the snow is blown away. I really enjoyed my day, the mountain is pretty quiet too which is always great! No queues and not so many ski school groups around too. Perfect :D

Anyone thinking of that last minute ski holiday.... think Andorra..... think Soldeu :)
    • This past week I’ve been on the mountain every day, I’m absolutely loving it at the moment.... :love: The weather has been glorious, lots of sunshine and a goggle tan is starting to appear, I’m thinking a higher factor is needed, not so sure about that look on a girl hehe!!

First thing in the morning the runs are perfectly groomed and hard packed, within a few hours the runs have softened up nicely from the sun and warmer temperatures. I would suggest carrying a backpack, by the afternoon you need to lose a layer or two!!

My favourite run has to be the black coming down to Soldeu, Eslalom it’s a wide run and despite the recent strong sun this run is a little shaded keeping the snow perfectly soft, but not slushy, all in all it’s a perfect run to finish an awesome day on. :)