Driving to Soldeu

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi Gary

The roads get a bit windy from Ax-le-Thermes but it's the last bit from Hospitalet pres l'Andorre up to Pas de la Casa that is lots of hairpin bends. The condition of the roads is impossible to predict and you should have chains with you, and it's recommended to have winter tyres.

Once at Pas de la Casa you can either go over the pass which is fine if clear, although steep and windy, but very difficult if there's a bit of snow on it, or alternatively there's a tunnel taking you from Pas to Grau Roig, and then the road is usually fine down to Soldeu.

Hope this helps and doesn't put you off! We're driving it on Thursday/Friday this week and have done it many times - generally do it over two days because we're in no rush, but possible to do in a day if you're sharing the driving and just want to get it out the way.

Steve
    • portsmouth to Soldeu

Hi

We are driving from Portsmouth and are getting the ferry to france next month, i havnt driven this before has i have always flown and just got the coach transfer to the resort, i am looking forward to the drive but at the some time i am a little bit worried as have been told that the snow conditions can change very quickly, has anyone done this before from portsmouth, thanks martin.
    • Hi Martin

I've driven there and back several times, and you're right that the conditions can change quickly, so it's best to be prepared! A few years back it was the end of November and we hit heay snow just as we left Calais!! You can buy snow chains online before you go, as if you chance it and have to buy them from a garage at the side of the road you can end up paying a lot more, plus you have to hope they have the correct size for your car.

My tip would be to bit the bullet with the French motorway tolls and just stick to the motorway all the way. The road up from Hospitalet up to Pas de la Casa can be very difficult if it has snowed and you can be turned back if you don't have chains, but only when it is snowing. If there's no snow it's dead easy though.

When you get to Pas de la Casa you can either take the pass over the mountain or you can take the tunnel under it - the tunnel is around €7 now but saves 10 minutes - if it's snowing or has been recently then definately take the tunnel as that mountain pass doesn't get cleared very well.

Hope this helps!

Steve